A Twitter user is reporting she was polled yesterday about the upcoming South Dakota legislative session.
According to user @book3mom, the call lasted about five minutes, was conducted by a live interviewer who was from out of state (key tell: they mispronounced “Pierre”) and didn’t include any disclaimer about who conducted the poll.
Among the things she reports being asked:
- how she ranked the importance of various social and fiscal issues for the legislative session
- her opinion of President Barack Obama, Gov. Dennis Daugaard, Secretary of State Jason Gant, the state Democratic and Republican parties, and the tea party movement
- whether South Dakota should let the federal government run its health insurance exchange under the Affordable Care Act (but not whether South Dakota should expand Medicaid)
- whether she thought Pierre too partisan
- if she liked Nebraska’s system of nonpartisan legislative elections
The poll came from 503-575-7964 and came up as “Bernett R” on caller ID. A quick web search determines that number is tied to Bernett Research, a call center firm; that doesn’t identify who hired Bernett to conduct the poll.
Does anyone have any insight into who’s behind this?